Jackie Chan is a Hong Kong martial artist, actor, film director, producer, stuntman, and singer, who is loved around the world by generations of fans. These inspirational Jackie Chan Quotes will show you the mindset of the humble and honest pop culture legend.
He was born Chan Kong-sang on 7 April 1954 in Hong Kong to parents who were refugees from the Chinese Civil War. Jackie Chan began studying martial arts, drama, acrobatics and singing at age 7. Many people considered him the successor of Bruce Lee. After Lee’s tragic and unexpected death in 1973, Jackie Chan became the next likely king of Hong Kong cinema. Instead of copying his predecessor, Chan developed his own style of martial arts mixed with oddball physical comedy.
Mixing his martial arts abilities with astonishing nerve, insisting on performing all of his own stunts—plus a sense of physical comedy, Jackie Chan created his own formula for movie gold.After his first hit, Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow (1978), Chan exploded on the Hong Kong scene with his first so-called “kung fu comedy,” the now-classic Drunken Master (1978). The Fearless Hyena (1979), Half a Loaf of Kung Fu (1980) and The Young Master (1980) established Jackie Chan‘s star status.
In 1996, he broke into the American movie scene with the hit Rumble in the Bronx. Chan followed this up with releases like Crime Story and Drunken Master II. His next box-office hit was 1998’s Rush Hour, an American-produced action comedy. Next up was the action comedy Shanghai Noon, set in the Old West. His next hit movies were Rush Hour 2 and The Tuxedo. In 2002, he received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and was given the Taurus Award for best action movie star at the World Stunt Awards.
As of 2018, Forbes estimates his net worth at $350 million. “Jackie Chan is basically the Mickey Mouse of Chinese culture, a celebrity who is so omnipresent that his name has become shorthand,” says Grady Hendrix, co-founder of the New York Asian Film Festival.
Top 20 Greatest Jackie Chan Quotes
- “Don’t try to be like Jackie. There is only one Jackie. Study computers instead.” – Jackie Chan
- “Do not let circumstances control you. You change your circumstances.” – Jackie Chan
- “The best fights are the ones we avoid.” – Jackie Chan
- “Cinema reflects culture and there is no harm in adapting technology, but not at the cost of losing your originality.” – Jackie Chan
- “Now I am older, I understand we have to accept who we are.” – Jackie Chan
- “Being still and doing nothing are two completely different things.” – Jackie Chan
- “Coffee is a language in itself.” – Jackie Chan Quotes
- “A lot of people ask me when I do a stunt, ‘Jackie, are you scared?’ Of course I’m scared. I’m not Superman.” – Jackie Chan
- “Since the child knew his parents would give in, he tried the same trick again and again.” – Jackie Chan
- “I like to change characters and then, slowly I believe the audience treat me as, like an actor who can fight. It’s not like an action star.” – Jackie Chan
- “After all those years in Asia, I don’t have to do promotion anymore. We just release a Jackie Chan movie and – Boom! – people go.” – Jackie Chan
- “I’m good for some things, bad for a lot of things.” – Jackie Chan
- “I do small things. I try to do good things every day. If everyone does some good, think of what a good world this will be.” – Jackie Chan
- “Family is not who’s blood is in you, it’s who you love and who loves you.” – Jackie Chan
Read also: 5 Most Important Things Martial Arts Taught Me About Life
- “Most of the time, I’m not even working; I’m just helping people, because I feel that I am too lucky.” – Jackie Chan
- “When I was young I didn’t care about education, just money and box office.” – Jackie Chan Quotes
- “I allowed myself to be bullied because I was scared and didn’t know how to defend myself. I was bullied until I prevented a new student from being bullied. By standing up for him, I learned to stand up for myself.” – Jackie Chan
- “I’m crazy, but I’m not stupid.” – Jackie Chan
- “Sometimes it takes only one act of kindness and caring to change a person’s life.” – Jackie Chan
- “I only want my work to make people happy.” – Jackie Chan
Thank you for taking a look at our list of great Jackie Chan quotes! Share them to social media via the buttons below so others can enjoy his wisdom, too.
Which Jackie Chan quotes are your favorite? Discuss them in the comments below.